Friday, December 08, 2006
Introduction

I had enough people ask for a report on this trip that I kept track of the itinerary and impressions for a planned e-mail. I knew pictures would better convey the experience but Word would be too large of an attachment and a pdf scan would erode picture quality. That’s when it was decided to use this same site that hosts my now defunct Adventures of a Foodie.

Why China? My travels always focus on canvassing as much of the U.S.A. as possible and figured my first time off the continent would be to Europe. The exchange rate nixed a planned trip to Great Britain then I read about this $999 package (see Tour Package posting) and after some hemming and hawing decided to go for it. Never thought of going there or visiting a communist country….but it was cheap.
Keep these points in mind while reading this report. China:
-is an eastern hemisphere country
-is a third world country
-is a communist country
-has been cut off to outsiders
-doesn’t get a lot of American tourists
-especially the smaller towns
-has taught its citizens Americans are evil imperialists