Wednesday, December 06, 2006

 

Day 7: Monday, November 27th


Up at 4AM. After reading and although the hotel is on the outskirts of town, with nothing else to do I go for a run and find things to see nevertheless. I have 3 things to call attention to myself on these runs. 1) American 2) Jogging 3) Wearing a yellow Pearl Izumi jersey.



We head to Mt. Tai, the ancient mountaintop place of worship. It is a surprising treat finding small villages and temples interspersed among the peaks. These are linked together by steep stone stairs and paths made more hazardous by a coating of ice. The photo opportunities are limitless.


The plan is lunch and then downtown for for shopping or massage. After trying a chicken foot I opt out of lunch to venture into town for real experiences instead of filling up on more hotel food. The tour guide again graciously provides some Chinese written notes. Lunch is at the English translation Do & Me which was chosen if only for the humor of the name (and they have pictures to point at).


Wandering on I find a weathered old lady selling roasted yams from a large drum. Ambling up a street full of sidewalk vendors I enjoy this steaming sweet starch while taking in the concrete slabs strewn with indigenous produce. My bakery fixation finds no boundaries in a couple more detours off the streets.


To see local consumerism the multi-story Silver Plaza has clothes, electronics and kitchenware. A repeat visit to the supermarket for more bananas, snacks, bakery and local candy.



Meet up with the rest of the group and get a real visual treat at the Free Market. A plentitude of nuts, spices, meats, produce, fish and…bakery. All this is soaked in as I explore on my own and with others as we cross paths. This area is the most we engage with the Chinese as they offer samples and smiles.


At the conclusion of dinner I am shocked and surprised to have a massive birthday cake placed in front of me. Especially since my b-day isn’t in 5 days! :) A generous and kind gesture. The exploding candle shocked and surprised me more!

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?